The 28-year-old woman who was shot dead in Hvidovre on Tuesday had reported her ex-husband's death threats to police just days before she was publicly gunned down.
Sinem Fener, the 28-year-old woman who was shot dead in Hvidovre on Thursday, warned police that her ex-husband had threatened her life.
Police spokesman Carsten Jansson told TV2 News that the police took Fener’s report seriously but simply could not track down her husband before it was too late.
“We took it very seriously, but perhaps not seriously enough one could say in hindsight of what happened later,” Jansson said. “We did everything we could – we questioned her and outfitted her with an emergency phone. We searched for him but we just couldn’t find him.”
Fener's 33-year-old ex-husband admitted in court on Friday to firing the fatal shots but did not formally enter a plea on the murder charge. He denied that he had previously threatened his ex-wife.
According to the prosecution, the man allegedly approached his ex-wife with a pistol in an Avedøre parking lot on July 6th.
“I’m sorry that I need to kill you. Shut up, don’t yell! Otherwise I will shoot you! And you better hope a patrol car doesn’t come by or I’ll plug you no matter what,” the man allegedly said.
The 33-year-old was apprehended after crashing his vehicle during a high-speed chase with police hours after Thursday's shooting.
The victim Sener was shot at least six times at close range in front of several eyewitnesses at Hvidovre Butikstorv, a public square in the south-west Copenhagen suburb.